
1771 – 1813

1745 – 1796
Formed on April 1, 1824 and named for Colonel John Allen, who lead Kentucky riflemen to relieve the siege at Fort Wayne by Indians during the War of 1812. He was subsequently killed at the Battle of the Raisin in Michigan Territory in January 1813.
General Anthony Wayne was one of the American heroes of the Revolution. Famed for his aggressive style of fighting, he came to be called “Mad” Anthony. In 1794 at the Battle of Fallen Timbers, he defeated the western Indian confederacy and negotiated the Treaty of Greenville. Namesake for Indiana’s city of Ft. Wayne.

Wabash & Erie Canal
Canal Path & Structures
Erie & Michigan Canal
No Evidence of the Erie & Michigan Canal was built in Allen County
Other Historical Maps
The following tabs correspond to articles written from past Canal Society of Indiana publications and the county you are viewing. Click on the link to read the associated article.
(2017 – Present)
The Tumble is the Canal Society of Indiana’s (CSI) current publication. The Tumble was the first publication of CSI to be completely internet based starting in 2017.
Volume VIII (2024)
Volume VII (2023)
Volume VI (2022)
Volume V (2021)
Volume IV (2020)
Volume III (2019)
Volume II (2018)
(2002-2016)
The Hoosier Packet was the official Canal Society of Indiana’s publication from 2002 through 2016.
Volume I (2002)
- Thomas Castaldi named Allen Co. Historian
- Canalabration
- Gronauer Lock – 11 Years Later
- Dearly Departed
- Canal Could Return to Ft. Wayne
- Rockhill: Tyler House
- Fort Wayne: Wabash-Erie/St. Joseph Feeder
- Calvin Fletcher Attends Opening of the Wabash-Erie
- W&E Canal Dredge on E-Bay
Canawlers at Rest
In the News
Volume II (2003)
- CSI Begins Its 21st Year
- We Get Letters: Hill & Orbison
- Leftover Timbers
- Power Park (St Joseph Feeder)
- Gronauer Lock Mitre Sill Photo
- Nathaniel Fitch
- Allen County Web Page
- Gronauer Lock Marker Dedication Set
- Marker for the Hamlets
- Heritage Highway Exhibit
- Gronauer Lock Marker Dedication
Canawlers at Rest
In the News
Volume III (2004)
Canawlers at Rest
Speakers Bureau
(1986-2002)
The Newsletter began being published in 1986 and was a companion publication of the Canal Society of Indiana’s (CSI) that ran concurrent with Indiana Canals publication. The Newsletter was initially printed with information about CSI. In the mid 990s Newsletter took on a new format and absorbed Indiana Canals into this one publication which became the primary publication of the Canal Society of Indiana until 2002.

(1989 – 2002)
Indiana Canals began being published in 1986 and was a companion publication of the Canal Society of Indiana’s (CSI) that ran concurrent with Newsletter publication. Indiana Canals was initially printed with information about the how the canals function, mechanical features of old and what was still remaining. In the mid 990s Indiana Canals publication was absorbed into the Newsletter which became the prime publication of the Canal Society of Indiana.
Volume I (1989/90)
- 1847 Chief Engineers Report: From State Line to Junction with Miami Line
- 1847 Chief Engineers Report: From Rd Bridge No. 9 to Lock No. 4
Volume II (1990)
Volume III (1991/92)
Volume IV (1992/93)
Volume V (1993/94)
Volume VI (1994/95)
Volume IX (1998)
Volume XII (2001)
(1981 – 1986)
Indiana Waterways was the first publication of the Canal Society of Indiana. The first edition was published in 1981 several months before the establishment of the Canal Society of Indiana and became the source of information about the development of CSI and information to the members until the creation of Indiana Canals and the Newsletter in 1986.
Volume II (1982)
Volume III (1983)
- The St. Joseph’s Feeder at Fort Wayne
- John Stopher: Canal Builder
- Portrait of a Canal Boat Captain
- Canal Markers
- Western Abutment Wabash & Erie Canal Aqueduct No. 1 Marker
- Fourth Annual Meeting of the Canal Society of Indiana
- Fort Wayne Times 1845
Volume IV (1985)
Wabash & Erie Canal:
Where the Frogs Their Vigil Keep
Produced 1994
Event | Date/Who | Description |
Construction | 1837-1838 | Ft Wayne to St Line |
Prism Enlarged | 60 Ft wide x 6 feet deep | |
Terminus Summit Level | 17 3/4 miles to Roanoke | |
Elevated RR | Follows canal route | |
Comparet Basin | David Comparet | |
Stone Building | John Brown ( not abolitionist) | |
Toll Collection Point |