ERIE & MICHIGAN CANAL

1836-1839

(7 miles / 110 planned)

Authorized by the 1836 Internal Improvement Bill, only the Northport feed reservoir (Sylvan Lake) and a few miles nearby were constructed.  Work stopped in 1839.

Grayed out counties indicate counties works were never started and/or completed.


Allen County

Col. John Allen
1771 – 1813
Gen. “Mad” Anthony Wayne
1745 – 1796

Formed on April 1, 1824 and named for Colonel John Allen, who lead Kentucky riflemen to relieve the siege at Fort Wayne by Indians during the War of 1812.  He was subsequently killed at the Battle of the Raisin in Michigan Territory in January 1813.

General Anthony Wayne was one of the American heroes of the Revolution. Famed for his aggressive style of fighting, he came to be called “Mad” Anthony. In 1794 at the Battle of Fallen Timbers, he defeated the western Indian confederacy and negotiated the Treaty of Greenville. Namesake for Indiana’s city of Ft. Wayne.

No evidence has been located to indicate Erie & Michigan Canal construction in Allen County.

Historical Markers
Miscellaneous Historical Events
Links & Other Historical Sites

Noble County

Noble County was organized in northeastern Indiana in 1836, and named for James Noble, a Virginia native who moved to Brookville, Indiana in 1811. At the time Indiana became a state in 1816, he was elected United States senator by the state legislature and died while in that office on February 26, 1831, in Washington, D. C.

Miami and Pottawatomie Indians were the county’s earliest known inhabitants. Most of them were forcibly removed from the area in 1838 and relocated to reservations west of the Mississippi River.

The first village was at Wolf Lake in 1832 on the trail from Fort Wayne to Goshen.

Many of the county’s earliest white settlers in (1830-1840) came to Perry’s Prairie near Ligonier. This area was free of thick forest. The rich soil was ideal for farming. It remains a rich farming area today.

Read more at: https://sites.rootsweb.com/~innchs/history-of-noble-county-historical-society.html
Copyright © Noble County Historical Society, Inc. of Indiana

Maps

Google Maps

Mileage & Structures

1876 Historical Map


Tour Information

CSI Tour Guide


Multimedia

Historical Markers

1992 Sylvan Lake

Biographies
Aveline, Francis

Miscellaneous Historical Events

Links & Other Historical Sites

Noble County Historical Society


Elkhart County

Eklhart Co. Courthouse
Goshen IN
Shawnee Chief Tecumseh, Cousin of Chief Elkhart

Many theories and accounts of how Elkhart County got its name have been provided over the years, but the origins of its name have really yet to be verified. One of the most popular theories is the county was named after the Shawnee Indian chief Elkhart, cousin of the famous Chief Tecumseh, and father of princess Mishawaka.

From many accounts, the county’s current boundaries were mainly inhabited by the Potawatomi tribe of Native Americans. Some early Anglo settlers began settling in the Elkhart Prairie around 1829. April 1830, Elkhart County was officially established with its original county seat in Dunlap. After some reorganizing of the county borders, the seat was moved to the center of the county, Goshen.

Elkhart County was founded by immigrants from New England. The completion of the Erie Canal in 1821 caused a surge in immigration from New England to what was then the Northwest Territory.

No evidence has been located to indicate Erie & Michigan Canal construction in Elkhart County.

Historical Markers
Miscellaneous Historical Events
Links & Other Historical Sites

Elkhart County Historical Society


St. Joseph County

St. Joseph River Watershed

The county was organized January 29, 1830, becoming effective April 1, 1830. The county is named after the St. Joseph River that runs through the county. The St. Joseph River is named after Joseph, husband of St. Mary, the mother of Jesus.

No evidence has been located to indicate Erie & Michigan Canal construction in St. Joseph County.

Historical Markers
Miscellaneous Historical Events
Links & Other Historical Sites

St. Joseph County Historical Museum


LaPorte County

The name given to the county is the French name of the beautiful lake included in it. The range of country east and west, from eight to twelve miles south-east of Lake Michigan, was originally timbered land, and parts of it are somewhat hilly.

Michigan City Lighthouse

In the vicinity of the lake and Michigan City, are sand hills, originally covered with pine. The country south of the above, for six or eight miles in width, is gently undulating prairie, interspersed with groves of timber and small lakes, Still further south are the buroak openings, a few dry prairies, and the Kankakee marshes. It is the gate to Lake Michigan commerce from Indiana

No evidence has been located to indicate Erie & Michigan Canal construction in LaPorte County.

Historical Markers
Miscellaneous Historical Events
Links & Other Historical Sites

LaPorte County History


Porter County

Commodore David Porter
(Feb 1, 1780 – Mar 3, 1843)
Indiana Dunes State Park

Situated in the northwestern portion of the State of Indiana; Established in January 28, 1836, Porter County’s seat of government is located in the City of Valparaiso. The county’s namesake is Commodore David Porter, of the United States Navy.

Porter County is home to Indiana Dunes National Park (Indiana’s only National Park), Indiana Dunes State Park and Valparaiso University.

No evidence has been located to indicate Erie & Michigan Canal construction in Porter County.

Historical Markers
Miscellaneous Historical Events
Links & Other Historical Sites