Authorized by the 1836 Internal Improvement Bill, only the Northport feed reservoir (Sylvan Lake) and a few miles nearby were constructed. Work stopped in 1839.
Cross-Cut Canal 1836-1839 (42 miles)
This waterway between Terre Haute and Worthington that connected the Wabash and White Rivers lifted canal waters 78 feet over a summit level. The Eel River feeder and the Birch Creek and Splunge Creek Reservoirs supplied water for this summit. Begun in 1836, the works were abandoned in 1839 only to later be completed in 1850 as part of the Wabash & Erie Canal.